Injury from foreign object or contaminated food?

Nothing is more disgusting than finding a worm, maggot, or other creepy crawlers in your chicken sandwich.  The first reaction is disgust, followed by anger that you just paid hard-earned money for something you cannot eat.
Generally, a manager or company complaint hotline will handle this problem with a refund or voucher for a free meal.  But what should you do if you become sick or injured by the foreign object or material?

  1. Make sure you can prove it! Take a picture of your plate or meal immediately.  Restaurant employees will be quick to take away the contaminated food as soon as it is brought to their attention, so make sure you document it first before it is thrown away or tampered with.  Also, it is a good idea to pay for the meal with a debit card or credit card. This will give you documented evidence that you were there, along with a date and time of the incident.   After you have your documentation, call it to the attention of management, most establishments have their incident reporting procedures.  You can request a copy of that report as well.
  2. Seek Dental or Medical Attention Immediately! If the food has made you sick, chipped a tooth, or caused severe burns, you will want to seek a doctor or dentist immediately.  The extent of your injuries may change over time and become difficult to prove if you wait.
  3. Do not talk about the incident. Refrain from posting about the experience on social media, telling friends and family, and by no circumstances do you ever want to make a statement to the insurance company regarding your injuries or any other aspect of your claim before contacting an attorney.
  4. Seek out an attorney! If your injury requires extensive dental work or surgery, or if you need ongoing medical attention, an attorney may facilitate these services with little or no out of pocket expenses.

The attorneys of Massey & Duffy, PLLC are experienced in Personal Injury lawsuits and can assist you in recovering all damages caused by foreign objects or food poisoning made by mishandled and improperly prepared food.  We specialize in negotiating with insurance companies and can help you coordinate medical services to aid you in receiving the care you need for your injury or illness.
Call our office immediately at (352) 505-8900 to schedule your FREE Consultation, so we assist you in your claim.  We proudly serve the residents of Alachua, Marion, Lake, Sumter, Gilchrist, Levy, and Columbia Counties.  For more information regarding compensation for injuries, visit us here:


More Posts

The Law of Ladders

Injuries from ladders are very common during construction.  Often, these ladders are supplied by employers or homeowners in a faulty condition. In such cases, the

Send Us A Message