Overtime Pay – Construction Labor – Labor Law

ConstructionOvertime Law Under FLSA
The FLSA governs overtime laws, and this law doesn’t only apply in construction, it also applies in other areas of labor. This law states that all employers should pay non-exempt construction workers their overtime due. Under the FLSA, any construction worker that has done repetitive work with his hands, energy, and skill is considered non-exempt. Paying a construction worker must be paid the federal minimum wage and overtime wages. Other states can have their laws regarding overtime wages, which deviate from the FLSA standard, but in all cases, overtime wages must be paid to construction workers.
As a construction worker, if you think your rights have been violated regarding overtime wages, there is the need to talk to a professional attorney that deals with such cases. A good lawyer can look into your situation and see if you’re qualified for overtime pay or not. You should provide all the necessary details to him, such as hours worked for, job duty, pay rate, and your entire job description.
Is There Any Fixed Overtime Rate For Construction Workers?
Non-exempt construction workers are entitled to an overpay rate, which is 1.5 of their regular hourly rate. Some states deviate from this rule, which is different from the FLSA. To know if you’re entitled to overtime rate, you should speak to an attorney in your state, give all your job description and hours, they will be able to tell you whether you’re qualified or not.
Can You File An Unpaid Overtime Lawsuit?
Multiple cases are filed every day regarding unpaid overtime wages for construction workers. FLSA exemptions, most of the time, aren’t applicable to construction workers that work with their hands repeatedly. Every construction worker is eligible for overtime wages and the federal minimum wage, which is imposed by the FLSA.
The construction worker who has been denied overtime pay should join a class action lawsuit so that they can fight their case. Even as a single employee, you can file your claim if you believe your rights have been violated, you just need to talk to your lawyer so that you can figure out how to deal with the situation.
When filing a case you should know that there are strict time limitations which as a plaintiff you shouldn’t miss, you have to do things promptly, talk to your employer to get your unpaid overtime wages. If he didn’t respond, file a lawsuit, but you must do it within a certain amount of time of the overtime wages not being paid.
The federal government has done its best to set the minimum wage standard for all states. However, there is no federal law that specifies the number of hours that every employee must work for in a week. If employees work for more than the standard weekly hours of 40h/week, employers must compensate the employees for the extra hours that they have worked over 40 hours.
Hourly workers should be paid at 1.5 of their standard hourly rate; most states have set their standard overtime rate. If both federal and state laws apply to your case, then as an employee, you should choose the one that offers more protection to you.
When Should You Hire An Attorney?
If you work for more than 40h/week and have not been compensated for the standard overtime rate, which is 1.5 times your regular hourly rate, your employer has violated your labor rights, and there is the need to take action against your employer. It’s always advisable to try and resolve things with him, let him know that he has violated your rights, and if he doesn’t sort things out, you can now take legal action against him. If you file a successful lawsuit, you’ll get back all the wages that are withheld by your employer and other possible damages done to you.
If your case is successful, your employer will be forced by law to give you back pay. This includes any overtime which has not been paid for the past two years. The employer will also have to pay liquidated damages. These damages are compensation for the losses you incur as a result of the wages which the employer denied you.
To claim for damages, you should provide all the necessary evidence which shows that your employer violated your labor rights. Have your rights been violated? Contact us now at Massey & Duffy so that we can help you make a proper claim.


More Posts

The Law of Ladders

Injuries from ladders are very common during construction.  Often, these ladders are supplied by employers or homeowners in a faulty condition. In such cases, the

Send Us A Message

Massey & Duffy

Our goal is to help people in the best way possible. This is our approach to every case. Contact us today for a free consultation. 

Practice Areas